News and Events
BAR Publishing attends many conferences throughout the year and the conferences that we are attending in 2018 are shown below. If you are attending these conferences please do stop by our stand to talk to us about our activities and to browse through the BAR titles on display. You might like to take advantage of the special conference discount and also pick up information on our forthcoming titles.
The Maritime Archaeology Graduate Symposium- MAGS, Ioannou Centre, University of Oxford, UK
3-4 February 2018
Current Archaeology Live 2018, Senate House, UK
23-24 February 2018
London and Middlesex Archaeological Society - LAMAS, The Western Theatre, Museum of London, UK
10 March 2018
GAO - Graduate Archaeology at Oxford (GAO) Annual International Conference, Ioannou Centre, University of Oxford, UK
12-13 March 2018
46th Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA), University of Tübingen, Germany
19 - 23 March 2018
11th ICAANE (International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East), Centre of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB), LMU Munich, Germany
3-7 April 2018
London Book Fair, Olympia, London, UK
10-12 April 2018
TRAC - Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference (Joint Roman Archaeology Conference and Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference), Edinburgh University, UK
12–14 April 2018
19th International Congress of Classical Archaeology (AIAC), University of Bonn, Germany, UK
23–26 May 2018
UISPP XVIII World Congress (Union Internationale des sciences prehistoriques et protohistoriques), Paris, France
3-9 June 2018
Europa 2018 (Prehistoric Society conference) - Coastal Archaeology in prehistory, University of York, UK
22-23 June 2018
International Medieval Congress 2018, University of Leeds, UK
2-5 July 2018
19th International Rock Art Congress (IFRAO: International Federation of Rock Art Organizations) 2018 'Standing on the shoulders of giants / Sulle spalle dei giganti', Valcamonica Darfo-Boario Terme (BS), Italy
29 August - 2 September 2018
EAA - European Association of Archaeologists 2018, Centre of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB), Barcelona, Spain
5-9 September 2018
46th Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology conference
We have had a busy few weeks exhibiting at the CAL, LAMAS and GAO conferences and we are looking forward to exhibiting at the 46th Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology conference next week at the University of Tübingen where titles in the CAA series will be on display as well as other computing and quantitative method titles. If you are attending, please do stop by our stand to browse through our titles where 40% discount will be on offer.
February 2018 publications
- A Taphonomic Approach to the Re-analysis of the Human Remains from the Neolithic Chamber Tomb of Quanterness, Orkney by Rebecca Crozier
- Digging for Words: Archaeolinguistic case studies from the XV Nordic TAG Conference held at the University of Copenhagen, 16–18 April 2015 Edited by Rune Iversen and Guus Kroonen
- Culturas en contacto: conflicto, asimilación e intercambio: Proceedings of the Third Postgraduate Conference in Studies of Antiquity and Middle Ages, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 23–25th November 2016 Edited by Núria Pacheco Catalán, Ignacio Díaz Sierra, Marina Fernández Monterrubio, Isaac Lampurlanés Farré, Ariadna Martínez Guimerà, Marc Mendoza Sanahuja, Manel Pica Torné, Montserrat Rovira Rafecas and David Vázquez Ruiz
- Le fortificazioni di Iasos di Caria: Rilievi e analisi architettoniche by Michele Cornieti
- Gli incroci pericolosi: Storia e Archeologia della Strada di Fiandra in Italia e Savoia. 1561–1659 by Giovanni Cerino Badone
Presentation at the Instituto Alicantino de Cultura Juan Gil-Albert
We send our congratulations to, Juan Antonio Mira Rico, for a wonderful presentation of Management Analysis of Municipal Castles in the Province of Alicante (Spain) at the Instituto Alicantino de Cultura Juan Gil-Albert on the 6th February 2018.
Along with Juan Antonio Mira Rico, the speakers at the presentation were Dr. Joan Borja i Sanz (Director of the Instituto Alicantino de Cultura Juan Gil-Albert Publications and Research Department) and Dr. Rafael Azuar Ruiz (pictured here).
January 2018 publications
- The Outcast Dead: Historical and archaeological evidence for the effect of the New Poor Law on the health and diet of London’s post-medieval poor by Brittney K. Shields Wilford
- Rhadamanthys: Studi di archeologia minoica in onore di Filippo Carinci per il suo 70° compleanno/Studies in Minoan archaeology in honour of Filippo Carinci on the occasion of his 70th birthday Edited by Giorgia Baldacci and Ilaria Caloi
- Un approccio integrato al problema della ricostruzione della viabilità romana in Sicilia: La via Catania-Agrigento by Marco Sfacteria
The Maritime Archaeology Graduate Symposium- MAGS
We are delighted to be exhibiting at Ioannou Centre, University of Oxford on Saturday 3rd February 2018 at the Maritime Archaeology Graduate Symposium. If you are attending please do stop by our stand in the atrium of the centre.
December 2017 publications
- Romans in the Middle and Lower Danube Valley, 1st century BC–5th century AD: Case Studies in Archaeology, Epigraphy and History Edited by Eric C. De Sena and Calin Timoc
- Le site de Bey-144: Fouilles et étude de la céramique (période hellénistique – début de l'ère romaine) by Dina Frangié-Joly
- Géoarchéologie de la transition Pléistocène-Holocène dans le nord-est pampéen (Buenos Aires, Argentine): Révision historique, stratigraphique et taphonomique. Perspectives pour le peuplement pré-LGM, Volumes I and II by Marcelo Javier Toledo
November 2017 publications
- Health Among the Maya: An osteoarchaeological comparison of sites in the northern Three Rivers Region, Belize by Hannah Plumer
- Recorded Places, Experienced Places: The Holocene rock art of the Iberian Atlantic north-west Edited by Ana M. S. Bettencourt, Manuel Santos Estevez, Hugo A. Sampaio and Daniela Cardoso
- Messina 1860–1943: Storia e Archeologia Militare di una piazzaforte contesa by Armando Donato
- Vida y muerte en el asentamiento del Neolítico Antiguo de El Prado (Pancorbo, Burgos): Construyendo el Neolítico en la Península Ibérica Edited by Carmen Alonso-Fernández
- Espacio gráfico, visibilidad y tránsito cavernario / Graphic Space, Visibility and Cave Transit: El uso de las cavidades con arte paleolítico en la Región Cantábrica / The use of caves with Palaeolithic art in the Cantabrian region by Blanca Ochoa
Nautical Archaeology Society
We were exhibiting at the Nautical Archaeology Society conference this weekend at the University of Portsmouth where the titles in the Nautical Archaeology Society Monograph Series were on display as well as many other maritime and underwater archaeology titles. Thank you to the organisers for such an interesting conference.
A Millennium: Settlement, Landscape and Society, 500 BC to 500 AD
We are exhibiting at Rewley House, at the Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford on Saturday 2nd December 2017 where the course ‘A Millennium: Settlement, Landscape and Society, 500 BC to 500 AD’ is taking place.Oxford University through its Department for Continuing Education offers frequent opportunities for learning and training in Archaeology, please click here for further details.
Nautical Archaeology Society
If you are attending the Nautical Archaeology Society conference in Portsmouth on the 18–19 November 2017 do stop by our stand to browse through our titles and take advantage of our 40% conference discount.
October 2017 publications
- Persepolis West (Fars, Iran): Report on the field work carried out by the Iranian-Italian Joint Archaeological Mission in 2008–2009 by Alireza Askari Chaverdi and Pierfrancesco Callieri
- Punctuated Insularity: The Archaeology of 4th and 3rd Millennium Sardinia by Gary Webster and Maud Webster
- Catalogo degli Ushabti del Museo Egizio di Firenze, Volume II: Nuovo Regno (Seconda Parte) by Giacomo Cavillier
- L’industrie lithique des populations blicquiennes (Néolithique ancien, Belgique) : organisation des productions et réseaux de diffusion: Petits échanges en famille by Solène Denis
- Patrimonio Culturale, Paesaggi e Personaggi dell'altopiano ibleo: Scritti di archeologia e museologia della Sicilia sud-orientale by Santino Alessandro Cugno con il contributo di Ray Bondin, Franco Dell’Aquila, Iorga Ivano Prato, Paolo Daniele Scirpo e la prefazione di Lorenzo Guzzardi
Scythians and early nomads from Siberia to the Black Sea
We are exhibiting at the Scythians and early nomads from Siberia to the Black Sea conference today until the 29th October at the British Museum.
Frankfurt Book Fair
Our director, Birgit Thaller is busy at the Frankfurt Book Fair this week meeting many of our international agents and booksellers at our stand G72 in Hall 4.2.
3rd International Conference on the Solutrean 2017
We are proud to support the 3rd International Conference on the Solutrean 2017 that is taking place this week at the Universidade do Algarve in Portugal. A selection of BARs are on display such as Solutrean Points of the Iberian Peninsula: Tool making and using behaviour of hunter-gatherers during the Last Glacial Maximum by Isabell Schmidt and a special 25% BAR conference discount is available for all of the delegates.
September 2017 publications
- Fishing and Managing the Trent in the Medieval Period (7th–14th Century): Excavations at Hemington Quarry (1998–2000), Castle Donington, UK by Lynden P. Cooper and Susan Ripper with contributions by Matt Beamish, Jennifer Browning, Nicholas J. Cooper, Robert Howard, Patrick Marsden, Angela Monckton, Anita Radini and Deborah Sawday
- Las poblaciones de la Prehistoria reciente (VIº - IIº milenio a.n.e.) en la Campiña Litoral y Banda Atlántica de Cádiz: Un análisis a través de la Antropología Física y la Arqueología by Adolfo Moreno-Márquez
- Management Analysis of Municipal Castles in the Province of Alicante (Spain) by Juan Antonio Mira Rico
- Archaeological Approaches to Breaking Boundaries: Interaction, Integration and Division: Proceedings of the Graduate Archaeology at Oxford Conferences 2015–2016 Edited by Rebecca O'Sullivan, Christina Marini and Julia Binnberg
The Bountiful Sea: Fish processing and consumption in Mediterranean antiquity conference
We very much enjoyed attending The Bountiful Sea conference at the Taylor Institution in Oxford on the 6-8 September 2017.
August 2017 publications
- Investigating Restricted Knowledge in Lithic Craft Traditions among the Pre-contact Coast Salish of the Pacific Northwest Coast of North America by Adam N. Rorabaugh
- Analisi tecnologica e funzionale dell'industria in pietra non scheggiata del Neolitico medio dell’Italia settentrionale: Tre casi studio dell'area veneta by Anna Lunardi
- Sailing Rock Art Boats: A reassessment of seafaring abilities in Bronze Age Scandinavia and the introduction of the sail in the North by Boel Bengtsson
- Storie di paesaggi e uomini alle pendici del Mont Fallère nell’Olocene antico e medio (Saint-Pierre, Valle d'Aosta, Italia) Edited by Luca V.M. Raiteri
- Early Bronze Age Round Barrows of the Anglo-Welsh Border by Neal Johnson
European Association of Archaeologists Conference
We recently attended the European Association of Archaeologists conference in Maastricht on the 30 August–3 September 2017 where we exhibited our titles and met many of the delegates. Many congratulations to the winners of the BAR Publishing prize draw: Zsófia Rácz (1st prize, winning a BAR Publishing book voucher), Eloísa Ferratges Kwekel (2nd prize winner), Else Meyerink, (3rd prize winner). We hope that you enjoyed your prizes.
In July we also travelled to Göttingen University to exhibit at the Ständige Ägyptologenkonferenz. The lucky winners of the BAR Publishing prize draw were Ursula Selzer (1st prize winner), Carolin Dingeldein (2nd prize winner) and Gerhard Kuhnel (3rd prize winner).
International Medieval Congress 2017
Thank you to everyone who visited our stand at the amazing International Medieval Congress in Leeds. We had a busy 4 days and it was wonderful to meet so many delegates.
International Association for Research on Pottery on the Hellenistic Period conference
We had a great time exhibiting at the International Association for Research on Pottery on the Hellenistic Period conference in the beautiful town of Kaštela in Croatia.Thank you very much to the conference organisers for your wonderful hospitality.
May 2017 publications
- Archaeological Survey and Excavations at Mikindani, Southern Tanzania: Finding Their Place in the Swahili World by Matthew Pawlowicz
- Ancient Settlement Patterns in the Area of Aksum (Tigray, Northern Ethiopia) – Ca. 900 BCE–800/850 CE by Luisa Sernicola
- Early Microlithic Technologies and Behavioural Variability in Southern Africa and South Asia by Laura Lewis
- The Akko Marina Archaeological Project by Ehud Galili with contributions by Gerald Finkielsztejn, Zaraza Friedman, Liora Kolska Horwitz, Yaacov Kahanov, Robert Kool, Baruch Rosen, Jacob Sharvit, Na’ama Silberstein, Dov Zviely and a foreword by David Jacoby
- The Place-name Kingston and Royal Power in Middle Anglo-Saxon England: Patterns, possibilities and purpose by Jill Bourne
- Ad Vallum: Papers on the Roman Army and Frontiers in Celebration of Dr Brian Dobson Edited By Adam Parker
A presentation of BAR S2847
Many congratulations to Fernando Rodriguez Del Cueto who recently held a presentation about his new book, BAR S2847, Arquitectura, urbanismo y espacios domésticos en “El Castro”, Pendia (Asturias, España). Siglos IV a. C.–II d. C. at the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Campus del Milán on the 3rd May 2017.
April 2017 publications
- Materia y acción en las catedrales medievales (ss. IX-XIII) / Material and Action in European Cathedrals (9th-13th centuries): Construir, decorar, celebrar / Building, decorating, celebrating Edited by Gerardo Boto Varela and César García de Castro Valdés
- Patrimonio tangible e intangible mexicano: una reflexión Edited by Juan García Targa and Geiser Gerardo Martín Medina
- Sémiologie du temple maya: Contribution à l’archéologie des centres cérémoniels des Basses Terres méso-américaines (200/900 ap. J.-C.) by Aliénor Letouzé
- The Minnesota Pylos Project, 1990–98 Edited by Frederick A. Cooper and Diane Fortenberry
- Excavations at Kranka Dada: An Examination of Daily Life, Trade, and Ritual in the Bono Manso Region by Anne M. Compton
- Animaltown: Beasts in Medieval Urban Space Edited by Alice M. Choyke and Gerhard Jaritz
March 2017 publications
- Excavations at Francavilla Marittima 1991–2004 by Marianne Kleibrink
- The Archaeology of the Roman Rural Economy in the Central Balkan Provinces by Olivera Ilić
- El proceso de urbanización de la Meseta Norte en la Protohistoria y la Antigüedad: la ciudad celtibérica y romana de Termes (s. VI a.C.–193 p.C.) by Santiago Martínez Caballero
- Il caso studio delle necropoli longobarde in area danubiana by Federica Codromaz
- Entangled Identities and Otherness in Late Antique and Early Medieval Europe edited by Jorge López Quiroga, Michel Kazanski and Vujadin Ivanišević
27th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference
We were delighted to attend the 27th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference at the University of Durham.
BAR author Sergio González Sánchez and Birgit with the winner of the BAR prize draw, Dr Matthew Mandich.
82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology (SAA)
We had a busy few days at the 82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology in Vancouver.
London Book Fair
Birgit had a very busy few days at London Book Fair, which is always a great event in the publishing calendar.
- Simboli e associazioni astrali nella glittica mesopotamica del Bronzo Tardo by Sara Pizzimenti
- Hill of Prosperity: Excavations at Khok Charoen, Thailand by Helmut Loofs-Wissowa
- The Funerary Monuments of Rough Cilicia and Isauria by Yasemin Er Scarborough
- Pottery Production Technology and Long-distance Exchange in Late Neolithic Makrygialos, Northern Greece by Elissavet S. Hitsiou
- The Pottery Figurines of Pre-Columbian Peru. Volume II : The Figurines of the Central Coast by Alexandra Morgan
- The Copper Age in South-West Spain: A bioarchaeological approach to prehistoric social organisation by Marta Díaz-Zorita Bonilla
- Arquitectura, urbanismo y espacios domésticos en 'El Castro', Pendia (Asturias, España). Siglos IV a. C.-II d. C. by Fernando Rodríguez del Cueto
- Transcaucasian Bronze Belts by Manuel Castelluccia
Current Archaeology Live conference
Marking 50 years since the inception of Current Archaeology magazine, the 2017 conference was as busy as ever with two days of talks from a range of archaeological experts on the latest finds and ground-breaking research. The keynote speech was delivered by BAR author Mike Parker Pearson.
A successful book launch in Malta
We were delighted to hear from Keith Buhagiar that the book launch for Malta and Water was a great success, with an audience of over 100 and great interest shown in the book.
- Mifsas Baḥri: a Late Aksumite Frontier Community in the Mountains of Southern Tigray Edited by Michela Gaudiello and Paul A. Yule
- Gatherings: Past and Present. Proceedings from the 2013 Archaeology of Gatherings International Conference at IT Sligo, Ireland Edited by Fiona Beglane
- The Northern Rock Art Tradition in Central Norway by Kalle Sognnes
- The Diffusion of Neolithic Practices from Anatolia to Europe: A contextual study of residential construction, 8,500–5,500 BC cal. by Maxime Nicolas Brami
- At the End of Great Moravia: Skeletons from the Second Church Cemetery at Pohansko-Břeclav (9th-10th Century A.D.) Edited by Vladimír Sládek and Jirí Machácek