Publish with BAR
- We publish high-quality academic projects from all areas of archaeology worldwide. This includes excavation reports, monographs, theses and funded research projects.
- We are particularly keen to publish books which contain original data or new findings from excavation sites or primary research.
- We publish in five languages (English, French, German, Spanish and Italian); we also publish in languages outside of our core five languages alongside a full parallel English translation.
- We publish in colour
- Many of our books are accompanied by digital downloads.
- All manuscripts are peer reviewed.
- Fast publication process: can be within 2-3 months.
We are actively seeking new projects in all areas of archaeology. If you have a book proposal that you would like us to consider for publication in the BAR series, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The consideration process
If you are interested in publishing with BAR, we will ask you to complete a new proposal submission form and send us whatever documents are available at this stage: ideally a draft manuscript and, if a thesis, your examiners’ reports. There is no need to format your manuscript into the BAR house style at this point.
We will keep you informed at each stage of the consideration process. Firstly, there will be an internal review; after this, if we think the project sounds like a good fit for the BAR list, we will send the draft manuscript out for a peer review. Following the peer review we will let you know whether or not we are able to offer you a contract for publication with BAR.
Preparing your manuscript for production
Once your manuscript has been accepted into the BAR series, we will offer you a publishing contract and send you all of the relevant guidance regarding our house style and formatting requirements. We are able to offer you expert guidance on any queries you may have with regard to final revisions, formatting or copyright permissions clearance.
The production process
Once your final manuscript is ready for production, we are able to bring it to market very quickly: often within two months.
On publication, our established and wide-reaching sales and marketing channels ensure that we reach the best potential market for each specialist book we publish. For example:
- Our data is disseminated to the book publishing industry, retailers, wholesalers and distributors via ONIX and feeds through to key sites such as Amazon.
- We have a network of agents and representatives based in different countries throughout the world who promote the BAR series to local bookshops and library suppliers.
- We work together closely with our authors to ensure that we promote each book through relevant associations, conferences, book launches or journals.
- We have an active community interested in our new publications, and we keep in touch via our social media channels as well as our regular newsletter, the BAR alert, which is sent to many archaeology institutions, academics and libraries worldwide.
Open access and self-archiving of BAR publications
We recognise the importance of open access in academia and we support the wide dissemination of archaeological research. Our up-to-date policies regarding open access and self-archiving of BAR publications can be viewed here.
Copyright permission requests
Reviewing for BAR
We are always pleased to hear from new and previous BAR authors and reviewers and we are happy to give advice at any stage of a project. Do get in touch:
Tel: +44 (0)1865 310431