News and events
BAR Publishing attends many conferences throughout the year and our 2017 exhibition schedule is shown below. If you are attending these conferences please do stop by our stand to talk to us about our activities and to browse through the BAR titles on display. You might like to take advantage of the special conference discount and also pick up information on our forthcoming titles.
TAG Theoretical Archaeology Group, Cardiff University, UK
18–20 December 2017
A Millennium: Settlement, Landscape and Society, 500 BC to 500 AD, Rewley House, Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford
1st - 2nd December 2017
Nautical Archaeology Society, Portsmouth, UK
18–19 November 2017
Scythians and early nomads from Siberia to the Black Sea,
BP Lecture Theatre, British Museum, UK
27–29 October 2017
The Frankfurt Book Fair, Frankfurt, Germany
11–15 October 2017
The Bountiful Sea: Fish processing and consumption in Mediterranean antiquity, University of Oxford, UK
6–8 September 2017
European Association of Archaeologists, Maastricht Exhibition and Conference Centre, The Netherlands
30 August–3 September 2017
Ständige Ägyptologenkonferenz, Göttingen University
14-16 July 2017
International Medieval Congress 2017, Leeds University, UK
3-6 July 2017
Europa 2017: The Bronze Age as Pre-Modern Globalisation (the Prehistoric Society) , University of Southampton, UK
23–24 June 2017
International Association for Research on Pottery on the Hellenistic Period conference, Kaštela Town Museum, Croatia
1–4 June 2017
Association for Environmental Archaeology Spring Conference, University, of Leicester, UK
29 April 2017
Chartered Institute for Archaeologists, Newcastle University, UK
19–21 April 2017
UK Archaeological Sciences, UCL, UK
5–8 April 2017
82nd Society for American Archaeology, Vancouver, BC, Canada
29 March–2 April 2017
27th Theoretical Roman Archaeology, Durham University, UK
28–31 March 2017
London Book Fair, UK
14–16 March, 2017
Current Archaeology Live 2017, Senate House, UK
24–25 February 2017
- Health Among the Maya: An osteoarchaeological comparison of sites in the northern Three Rivers Region, Belize by Hannah Plumer
- Recorded Places, Experienced Places: The Holocene rock art of the Iberian Atlantic north-west Edited by Ana M. S. Bettencourt, Manuel Santos Estevez, Hugo A. Sampaio and Daniela Cardoso
- Messina 1860–1943: Storia e Archeologia Militare di una piazzaforte contesa by Armando Donato
- Vida y muerte en el asentamiento del Neolítico Antiguo de El Prado (Pancorbo, Burgos): Construyendo el Neolítico en la Península Ibérica Edited by Carmen Alonso-Fernández
- Espacio gráfico, visibilidad y tránsito cavernario / Graphic Space, Visibility and Cave Transit: El uso de las cavidades con arte paleolítico en la Región Cantábrica / The use of caves with Palaeolithic art in the Cantabrian region by Blanca Ochoa
Nautical Archaeology Society
We were exhibiting at the Nautical Archaeology Society conference this weekend at the University of Portsmouth where the titles in the Nautical Archaeology Society Monograph Series were on display as well as many other maritime and underwater archaeology titles. Thank you to the organisers for such an interesting conference.
A Millennium: Settlement, Landscape and Society, 500 BC to 500 AD
We are exhibiting at Rewley House, at the Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford on Saturday 2nd December 2017 where the course ‘A Millennium: Settlement, Landscape and Society, 500 BC to 500 AD’ is taking place.Oxford University through its Department for Continuing Education offers frequent opportunities for learning and training in Archaeology, please click here for further details.
Nautical Archaeology Society
If you are attending the Nautical Archaeology Society conference in Portsmouth on the 18–19 November 2017 do stop by our stand to browse through our titles and take advantage of our 40% conference discount.
- Persepolis West (Fars, Iran): Report on the field work carried out by the Iranian-Italian Joint Archaeological Mission in 2008–2009 by Alireza Askari Chaverdi and Pierfrancesco Callieri
- Punctuated Insularity: The Archaeology of 4th and 3rd Millennium Sardinia by Gary Webster and Maud Webster
- Catalogo degli Ushabti del Museo Egizio di Firenze, Volume II: Nuovo Regno (Seconda Parte) by Giacomo Cavillier
- L’industrie lithique des populations blicquiennes (Néolithique ancien, Belgique) : organisation des productions et réseaux de diffusion: Petits échanges en famille by Solène Denis
- Patrimonio Culturale, Paesaggi e Personaggi dell'altopiano ibleo: Scritti di archeologia e museologia della Sicilia sud-orientale by Santino Alessandro Cugno con il contributo di Ray Bondin, Franco Dell’Aquila, Iorga Ivano Prato, Paolo Daniele Scirpo e la prefazione di Lorenzo Guzzardi
Scythians and early nomads from Siberia to the Black Sea
We are exhibiting at the Scythians and early nomads from Siberia to the Black Sea conference today until the 29th October at the British Museum.
Frankfurt Book Fair
Our director, Birgit Thaller is busy at the Frankfurt Book Fair this week meeting many of our international agents and booksellers at our stand G72 in Hall 4.2.
3rd International Conference on the Solutrean 2017
We are proud to support the 3rd International Conference on the Solutrean 2017 that is taking place this week at the Universidade do Algarve in Portugal. A selection of BARs are on display such as Solutrean Points of the Iberian Peninsula: Tool making and using behaviour of hunter-gatherers during the Last Glacial Maximum by Isabell Schmidt and a special 25% BAR conference discount is available for all of the delegates.
- Fishing and Managing the Trent in the Medieval Period (7th–14th Century): Excavations at Hemington Quarry (1998–2000), Castle Donington, UK by Lynden P. Cooper and Susan Ripper with contributions by Matt Beamish, Jennifer Browning, Nicholas J. Cooper, Robert Howard, Patrick Marsden, Angela Monckton, Anita Radini and Deborah Sawday
- Las poblaciones de la Prehistoria reciente (VIº - IIº milenio a.n.e.) en la Campiña Litoral y Banda Atlántica de Cádiz: Un análisis a través de la Antropología Física y la Arqueología by Adolfo Moreno-Márquez
- Management Analysis of Municipal Castles in the Province of Alicante (Spain) by Juan Antonio Mira Rico
- Archaeological Approaches to Breaking Boundaries: Interaction, Integration and Division: Proceedings of the Graduate Archaeology at Oxford Conferences 2015–2016 Edited by Rebecca O'Sullivan, Christina Marini and Julia Binnberg
The Bountiful Sea: Fish processing and consumption in Mediterranean antiquity conference
We very much enjoyed attending The Bountiful Sea conference at the Taylor Institution in Oxford on the 6-8 September 2017.
- Investigating Restricted Knowledge in Lithic Craft Traditions among the Pre-contact Coast Salish of the Pacific Northwest Coast of North America by Adam N. Rorabaugh
- Analisi tecnologica e funzionale dell'industria in pietra non scheggiata del Neolitico medio dell’Italia settentrionale: Tre casi studio dell'area veneta by Anna Lunardi
- Sailing Rock Art Boats: A reassessment of seafaring abilities in Bronze Age Scandinavia and the introduction of the sail in the North by Boel Bengtsson
- Storie di paesaggi e uomini alle pendici del Mont Fallère nell’Olocene antico e medio (Saint-Pierre, Valle d'Aosta, Italia) Edited by Luca V.M. Raiteri
- Early Bronze Age Round Barrows of the Anglo-Welsh Border by Neal Johnson
European Association of Archaeologists Conference
We recently attended the European Association of Archaeologists conference in Maastricht on the 30 August–3 September 2017 where we exhibited our titles and met many of the delegates. Many congratulations to the winners of the BAR Publishing prize draw: Zsófia Rácz (1st prize, winning a BAR Publishing book voucher), Eloísa Ferratges Kwekel (2nd prize winner), Else Meyerink, (3rd prize winner). We hope that you enjoyed your prizes.
In July we also travelled to Göttingen University to exhibit at the Ständige Ägyptologenkonferenz. The lucky winners of the BAR Publishing prize draw were Ursula Selzer (1st prize winner), Carolin Dingeldein (2nd prize winner) and Gerhard Kuhnel (3rd prize winner).
International Medieval Congress 2017
Thank you to everyone who visited our stand at the amazing International Medieval Congress in Leeds. We had a busy 4 days and it was wonderful to meet so many delegates.
International Association for Research on Pottery on the Hellenistic Period conference
We had a great time exhibiting at the International Association for Research on Pottery on the Hellenistic Period conference in the beautiful town of Kaštela in Croatia.Thank you very much to the conference organisers for your wonderful hospitality.
- Archaeological Survey and Excavations at Mikindani, Southern Tanzania: Finding Their Place in the Swahili World by Matthew Pawlowicz
- Ancient Settlement Patterns in the Area of Aksum (Tigray, Northern Ethiopia) – Ca. 900 BCE–800/850 CE by Luisa Sernicola
- Early Microlithic Technologies and Behavioural Variability in Southern Africa and South Asia by Laura Lewis
- The Akko Marina Archaeological Project by Ehud Galili with contributions by Gerald Finkielsztejn, Zaraza Friedman, Liora Kolska Horwitz, Yaacov Kahanov, Robert Kool, Baruch Rosen, Jacob Sharvit, Na’ama Silberstein, Dov Zviely and a foreword by David Jacoby
- The Place-name Kingston and Royal Power in Middle Anglo-Saxon England: Patterns, possibilities and purpose by Jill Bourne
- Ad Vallum: Papers on the Roman Army and Frontiers in Celebration of Dr Brian Dobson Edited By Adam Parker
A presentation of BAR S2847
Many congratulations to Fernando Rodriguez Del Cueto who recently held a presentation about his new book, BAR S2847, Arquitectura, urbanismo y espacios domésticos en “El Castro”, Pendia (Asturias, España). Siglos IV a. C.–II d. C. at the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Campus del Milán on the 3rd May 2017.
- Materia y acción en las catedrales medievales (ss. IX-XIII) / Material and Action in European Cathedrals (9th-13th centuries): Construir, decorar, celebrar / Building, decorating, celebrating Edited by Gerardo Boto Varela and César García de Castro Valdés
- Patrimonio tangible e intangible mexicano: una reflexión Edited by Juan García Targa and Geiser Gerardo Martín Medina
- Sémiologie du temple maya: Contribution à l’archéologie des centres cérémoniels des Basses Terres méso-américaines (200/900 ap. J.-C.) by Aliénor Letouzé
- The Minnesota Pylos Project, 1990–98 Edited by Frederick A. Cooper and Diane Fortenberry
- Excavations at Kranka Dada: An Examination of Daily Life, Trade, and Ritual in the Bono Manso Region by Anne M. Compton
- Animaltown: Beasts in Medieval Urban Space Edited by Alice M. Choyke and Gerhard Jaritz
- Excavations at Francavilla Marittima 1991–2004 by Marianne Kleibrink
- The Archaeology of the Roman Rural Economy in the Central Balkan Provinces by Olivera Ilić
- El proceso de urbanización de la Meseta Norte en la Protohistoria y la Antigüedad: la ciudad celtibérica y romana de Termes (s. VI a.C.–193 p.C.) by Santiago Martínez Caballero
- Il caso studio delle necropoli longobarde in area danubiana by Federica Codromaz
- Entangled Identities and Otherness in Late Antique and Early Medieval Europe edited by Jorge López Quiroga, Michel Kazanski and Vujadin Ivanišević
27th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference
We were delighted to attend the 27th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference at the University of Durham.
BAR author Sergio González Sánchez and Birgit with the winner of the BAR prize draw, Dr Matthew Mandich.
82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology (SAA)
We had a busy few days at the 82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology in Vancouver.
London Book Fair
Birgit had a very busy few days at London Book Fair, which is always a great event in the publishing calendar.
- Simboli e associazioni astrali nella glittica mesopotamica del Bronzo Tardo by Sara Pizzimenti
- Hill of Prosperity: Excavations at Khok Charoen, Thailand by Helmut Loofs-Wissowa
- The Funerary Monuments of Rough Cilicia and Isauria by Yasemin Er Scarborough
- Pottery Production Technology and Long-distance Exchange in Late Neolithic Makrygialos, Northern Greece by Elissavet S. Hitsiou
- The Pottery Figurines of Pre-Columbian Peru. Volume II : The Figurines of the Central Coast by Alexandra Morgan
- The Copper Age in South-West Spain: A bioarchaeological approach to prehistoric social organisation by Marta Díaz-Zorita Bonilla
- Arquitectura, urbanismo y espacios domésticos en 'El Castro', Pendia (Asturias, España). Siglos IV a. C.-II d. C. by Fernando Rodríguez del Cueto
- Transcaucasian Bronze Belts by Manuel Castelluccia
Current Archaeology Live conference
Marking 50 years since the inception of Current Archaeology magazine, the 2017 conference was as busy as ever with two days of talks from a range of archaeological experts on the latest finds and ground-breaking research. The keynote speech was delivered by BAR author Mike Parker Pearson.
A successful book launch in Malta
We were delighted to hear from Keith Buhagiar that the book launch for Malta and Water was a great success, with an audience of over 100 and great interest shown in the book.
- Mifsas Baḥri: a Late Aksumite Frontier Community in the Mountains of Southern Tigray Edited by Michela Gaudiello and Paul A. Yule
- Gatherings: Past and Present. Proceedings from the 2013 Archaeology of Gatherings International Conference at IT Sligo, Ireland Edited by Fiona Beglane
- The Northern Rock Art Tradition in Central Norway by Kalle Sognnes
- The Diffusion of Neolithic Practices from Anatolia to Europe: A contextual study of residential construction, 8,500–5,500 BC cal. by Maxime Nicolas Brami
- At the End of Great Moravia: Skeletons from the Second Church Cemetery at Pohansko-Břeclav (9th-10th Century A.D.) Edited by Vladimír Sládek and Jirí Machácek