Palaepaphos (modern Kouklia) is a major prehistoric site in south-west Cyprus, famous as a cult-place of a deity later identified with Aphrodite. Between 1951 and 1954 the Liverpool Museum and St Andrews University Mission to Palaepaphos, directed by J. H. Iliffe and T. B. Mitford, excavated 46 Late Bronze Age tombs in three cemeteries, as well as a number of Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age tombs at other locations. Two of the cemeteries were comprised mainly of chamber tombs used for secondary interment, while the third consisted of pit graves used for primary burials. These tombs produced nearly 1,120 inventoried finds, including pottery, objects in stone, bronze and silver vessels, bronze and iron weapons, gold jewellery, ivory objects, faience and glass. This book provides the long-awaited publication of this important body of material, described in the catalogues for each tomb and fully illustrated in photographs and drawings.
H. W. Catling was an archaeologist who specialised in the prehistory of the Aegean and Cyprus. Having served in the Department of Antiquities in Cyprus in 1955-59, he later worked in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford before becoming Director of the British School at Athens from 1971-89.
‘This book provides us with one last look into the fine mind of Hector Catling, a giant of Cypriot archaeology. Although he left his work on this volume unfinished, people will still benefit from having the opportunity to continue a conversation with him by working with this book.’ Dr Joanna Smith, University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
‘We have been waiting many decades for this publication. The data are of enormous value to the subject area.' Professor Susan Sherratt, University of Sheffield