Between June 2000 and April 2004 four sites within the City of Worcester were subjected to archaeological investigation by Birmingham Archaeology (formerly Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit) and Mike Napthan Archaeology. The results from thesefour sites are documented in this volume. One site is located to the northeast of the historic city core at St Martins Gate. The three remaining sites are located to the north of the city in an area known as The Butts. Archaeological excavations were undertaken at 812 and 1424 The Butts, and an evaluation at 1 The Butts. At all four sites, the stratigraphy is characterised by Roman and post-medieval deposits, with a distinct lack of intervening material. Ditch features relating to Civil War remodelling of the citys defences were located at St Martins Gate, 812 The Butts, and 1424 The Butts, and it seems that this and later activity was responsible for the disturbance and removal of earlier material. At 1 The Butts, the creation of the medieval city defences in the 13th century had been responsible for the removal of earlier deposits, but a stone-lined well and other features of Roman date survived on the berm between the medieval city wall and ditch. At all four sites, the Roman deposits yielded asignificant array of features and rich assemblages of pottery and other materials, which have added to an understanding of life and industry in the suburbs of Roman Worcester.